Tofu Fajita Salad
with bell peppers / corn / avocados
We've featured this tofu fajita salad in the past (most recently in 2017) and it always gets great reviews from our community for coming together quickly and offering great color and texture. Adding crumbled tortilla chips at the end is totally optional, but we highly recommend it!
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Vinegar, red wine - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tofu, extra-firm - 1 lb, cubed (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Bell peppers, green - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced thinly
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head, chopped
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup, thawed or drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, queso fresco - 4 oz, crumbled (sub grated cheddar)
- Tortilla chips (opt) - 1 cup, crushed
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Chop garlic. Whisk garlic with vinegar, mustard, sour cream, paprika (portion for dressing), and cooking oil (portion for dressing). Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season tofu - Pat tofu dry. Toss with garlic powder, paprika (portion for salad), coriander, cumin, and some salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Shallots / Bell Peppers / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Corn - Defrost in microwave for frozen or drain and rinse for canned.
- Heat a nonstick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil (portion for salad) and then shallots to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add peppers and saute for 3 minutes more. Set peppers and shallots aside and return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add second part of cooking oil (portion for salad) and then tofu. Sear tofu on all sides until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Assemble salads with lettuce, avocados, and corn. Toss with tofu, peppers, cheese, and dressing. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Sprinkle green onions and crushed tortilla chips on top!
The dressing was too much. I ended up using salsa with some sour cream. I also added cilantro to the shrimp just before serving. I think that I may consider adding black beans next time to make it more satisfying.0 Helpful
Good, but the dressing was a bit much for me0 Helpful
Loved this one!0 Helpful
Extremely delicious, but I ate two servings before feeling remotely full.0 Helpful
The dressing was such a great flavor! We will make this again!0 Helpful
Made this with tofu, yummy but needed more food with it so added a curried turkey soup with Canadian Thanksgiving leftovers.0 Helpful