Shrimp Fajita Saladwith bell peppers / corn / avocados
We've featured this shrimp fajita salad in the past (most recently in 2017) and it always gets great reviews from our community for coming together quickly and offering great color and texture. Adding crumbled tortilla chips at the end is totally optional, but we highly recommend it!
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Vinegar, red wine - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Shrimp - 1 lb, shelled and deveined
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Bell peppers, green - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced thinly
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head, chopped
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup, thawed or drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortilla chips (opt) - 1 cup, crushed
- Make dressing - Chop garlic. Whisk garlic with vinegar, mustard, sour cream, paprika (portion for dressing), and cooking oil (portion for dressing). Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry. Toss with garlic powder, paprika (portion for salad), coriander, cumin, and some salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Shallots / Bell Peppers / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Corn - Defrost in microwave for frozen or drain and rinse for canned.
- Heat a nonstick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for salad) and then shallots to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add peppers and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Fold in shrimp and toss until shrimp are cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble salads with lettuce, avocados, and corn. Toss with shrimp, peppers, and dressing. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Sprinkle green onions and crushed tortilla chips on top!
This meal has 31 reviews
I love this dish - easy to make, and great to make deconstructed and bring as lunch. I did also have problem with the strong red wine vinegar thought first it was because I used a new brand but later realized that others had the same issue. I added more crème fraiche to take away the acidity. And for next time would reduce it in half.
Not sure why others had issue with the amount of red wine vinegar, I used 3 tablespoons and it was very good. I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream though so maybe that cut the vinegar a little more. All in all, easy and delicious!
Really enjoyed this! Did the prepping ahead of time which made it quick. Added some leftover rice as well. Happy we have leftovers for tomorrow!
Great meal! We went very light on the dressing but the flavors and textures were wonderful
Very good. I added some cherry tomatoes and grated cheese. I adjusted the red wine vinegar after reading the comments. I will make it again.
I made this meal and it was yummy. But we substituted salmon in our! It Was very yummy. My kids sat down at the table and said ewww we don’t like salad but they ate it all!