North African Spiced Bean Stew
with sweet potatoes / lentils / chard
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Allspice (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Sweet potatoes - 12 oz, peeled and diced
- Turnips - 6 oz, peeled and diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Leeks - 2, thinly sliced
- Chard, any type - 6 oz, leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Pita bread, gluten-free - 4 rounds, wedges
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Lentils, uncooked red - 1/2 cup (sub any color lentils)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Turnips / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Leeks / Chard - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pita - Slice pita into wedges.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then turnips, leeks, and chard stems. Saute until leeks are soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and spice mix. Saute for 1 minute.
- Pour stock over soup base and bring to a simmer. Add in sweet potatoes, lentils, and chard leaves.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender and lentils are fully cooked, ~15 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in beans. Simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Remove stew from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt.
- Toast pita wedges.
- Serve stew with yogurt on top and pita wedges on the side.
Hearty and tasty. I upped the chard a bit and it worked great. Delicious!0 Helpful
This was yummy and felt filling, but then I was hungry again two hours later. I didn't eat the pita with it though0 Helpful
Great crockpot meal for our Monday night dinner party.0 Helpful
Yummy! Loved the chard and turnips for something a little different.0 Helpful
Loved it! Delicious way to eat lots of veggies.0 Helpful
I was super impressed with this one.0 Helpful