Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Red Onions and Jam
with pureed sweet potato soup
Grilled cheese gets a sweet and tart makeover with jam and balsamic red onions sandwiched in between. Dip it into this lucsious sweet potato soup and this is a dinner everyone will love. Our paleo option features a NY strip steak with the sweet and tart onions, another great way to enjoy this simple topping.
Pureed Sweet Potato Soup:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Onion - 1 , chopped
- Sweet potato - 1 1/2 lbs , chopped
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 4 to 6 cups
Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Red Onions and Jam:
- Red onions - 1 , sliced
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Jam - 1 Tbsp + 1/2 cup
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
- Fontina cheese - 8 slices ((swiss, gruyere, or brie would also be great options))
- Red onions - You may have already done this on Tuesday. If not, prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make balsamic red onions if not already done from Tuesday - Heat skillet over medium heat. Add in 1 tbs. of cooking oil and then red onions to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until they're super soft, ~10 minutes. If the pan ever looks dry and the onions look like they might burn, add in a splash of water. At the very end, add in balsamic vinegar and jam. Cook for another minute or two to let the flavors absorb. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Sweet potatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C) degrees. Place a cooling rack into a sheet pan and then put into warming oven.
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then minced garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add the chopped onions with a pinch of salt. Saute until slightly translucent and starting to soften, ~3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and enough broth / stock to cover all ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, butter one side of each piece of bread with about 1/2 tbs. (7.4ml) of butter each. Lay out the bread buttered-side down and place a slice of cheese on each. Layer with jam and balsamic onions. Close sandwiches.
- Heat up a griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches onto heated surface (as many as can fit) and press down throughout the grilling process with a spatula. Flip once the first side is golden, ~ 3 to 4 minutes. Move sandwiches onto cooling rack in oven and keep warm until you're ready to eat.
- After soup cools down some, puree with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the soup needs more sweetness, turn to your standby sweeteners. If you want to give it an extra kick of fall, sprinkle on some cinnamon. Serve with your grilled cheese (and I bet that grilled cheese would be pretty good dipped into soup!).