Fried Eggs with Asian-Style Hash
and bacon / brussels sprouts / shiitakes
Smarts: If you own a mandoline slicer, it will make quick work of slicing the Brussels sprouts. (A sharp knife will work fine, too.)
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Bacon - 8 strips, chopped
- Stock, any type - 3 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce (opt) - 1/2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Mushrooms, fresh shiitakes - 8 oz, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and saute until bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off all but ~1 Tbsp / 15 mL bacon grease (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing).
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add onions and Brussels sprouts. Saute until Brussels sprouts are starting to turn brown in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add mushrooms and sauce to pan. Cover with a lid. Steam until Brussels sprouts are tender, ~5 minutes.
- While vegetables steam, heat a nonstick pan with oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into oil and fry on one side for sunny-side up or flip for over-easy.
- Remove lid from vegetables. Top vegetables with bacon.
- Serve eggs over vegetables. Add some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
We weren’t a big fan of the flavors. I love bacon but the shiitakes just kind of drowned them out, so I couldn’t taste any bacon when eating surprisingly. I subbed the rice for cauliflower rice.0 Helpful
Not my favorite. It was still tasty, but it seemed too watery for my liking. I prefer hash with potatoes, since they are better at soaking up the yolk from the egg.0 Helpful
Giving it 3 instead of 2 because it exceeded my expectations. It was ok, good even. At face value, the recipe looks bland, but the earthiness from the sprouts, smokiness from the bacon, and spiciness from the chili-garlic sauce was better than expected.0 Helpful
This was okay. I thought there were too many sprouts and not enough rice. I doubled the sauce like many of the comments suggest, and that was a good move. I think I would like it with some carrots and red peppers too.0 Helpful
I thought it was good. Did add more hot sauce. My family did not care for this.0 Helpful
Thought this was great! I added the rice into the pan along with the mushrooms and sauce to make it more like a fried-rice type deal. This came together really quickly having previously made the rice and buying sliced shiitakes. I think in future I would spend a little extra and get pre-shredded Brussels sprouts to save even more time for a practical week night meal. Would also crack the eggs right in the pan fried rice style too. But maybe I just really wanted fried rice! Ha! Either way, it hit the spot and was cheap, easy, and filling. Looking forward to leftovers tomorrow!0 Helpful