with zucchini noodles
Florentine-style chicken is served in a creamy sauce with wilted spinach and mushrooms. Flavorful and classic (and you won't believe how simple it is to make)!
- Onions, medium - 1/2, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 16 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Zucchini - 12 oz, spiralized, peeled, or cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms, if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just cube your zucchini to make a zucchini saute.)
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add first portion of oil. When oil is hot, sear chicken until golden brown on both sides and nearly cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side (it will finish cooking in the sauce). Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add second portion of oil. Saute zucchini just until tender, 2 to 3 minutes (add 2 to 3 minutes if using cubed zucchini). Season zucchini with some salt and spread out on a serving platter.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and add butter. When butter melts, add onions, garlic, and mushrooms and saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Stir in arrowroot powder and thyme until no dry spots remain, ~1 minute.
- Pour stock over mushrooms and simmer (reduce heat if necessary) until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir spinach into sauce. Add chicken back to pan and nestle in sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked all the way through and spinach is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken and sauce over zucchini noodles. Enjoy!
This dish was delicious! I added some garlic bread as a side and it was a hit.0 Helpful
This recipe is really great. My whole family really enjoyed it and will definitely make again. The sauce was to little, though. I did make some changes in seasoning. Instead of only seasoning chicken with salt and pepper, I used a combination of Puertorican seasonings - adobo and sazón Goya for the chicken. For the sauce, I also used adobo Goya to season it while it was cooking and the flavors were incredible.0 Helpful
I really liked this, but I could have easily doubled the amount of zucchini.0 Helpful
I thought this was a very flavorful and easy recipe. Lots of Mushrooms and the cream sauce was super good. I would have doubled the amount of spinach if I was re-doing.0 Helpful
My kids liked the chicken's flavor. Good meal but not a repeat for me.0 Helpful
We loved it, but there wasn't enough sauce.0 Helpful