Florentine-style chicken is served in a creamy sauce with wilted spinach and mushrooms. Flavorful and classic (and you won't believe how simple it is to make)!
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 16 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Spaghetti - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Wine, white - 3/4 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms, if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Once water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. When oil is hot, sear chicken until golden brown on both sides and nearly cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side (it will finish cooking in the sauce). Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and add butter. When butter melts, add onions, garlic, and mushrooms and saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Stir in flour and thyme until no dry spots remain, ~1 minute.
- Pour white wine and stock over mushrooms and simmer (reduce heat if necessary) until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir heavy cream and spinach into sauce. Add chicken back to pan and nestle in sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked all the way through and spinach is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When pasta is done, drain and rinse.
- Serve chicken and sauce over pasta. Enjoy!