Baked Ham and Cheese Slider Melts
with roasted carrots / sugar snap peas
This recipe offers a super simple way to elevate basic ham and cheese sandwiches to something that is both fun for a weeknight and / or perfect to scale up and serve to a crowd. A drizzle of melted butter and sprinkling of poppy seeds over the baked sandwiches give this meal an extra something special.
Baked Ham and Cheese Slider Melts:
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Slider buns / rolls, small - 12 (look for sweet Hawaiian slider rolls; sub 1 regular hamburger bun per serving)
- Ham, deli-sliced - 8 oz
- Cheese, Swiss - 6 slices (sub guyere or cheddar)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Poppy seeds (opt) - 1 tsp
- Foil - for baking
Roasted Carrots and Sugar Snap Peas:
- Carrots - 16 oz , matchsticks
- Sugar snap peas - 12 oz , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Carrots - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Slice carrots into matchsticks. (Note: You want the carrots fairly thin so they will finish roasting at the same time as the sugar snap peas.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk together mayonnaise and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sugar snap peas - Trim sugar snap peas. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Slider buns / rolls - If not pre-sliced, slice.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C. Set out a sheet pan and a square baking dish (if making more than 4 servings, use a large rectangular dish).
- Whisk together oil, garlic powder, salt, and sesame seeds. Toss with carrots and sugar snap peas. Spread out on the sheet pan.
- Transfer to the oven and roast, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until carrots are tender, 10 to 14 minutes.
- While vegetables roast, spread the bottom halves of slider buns out in the baking dish. Spread with mayo / mustard dressing. Top each slider with ham, cheese (tear into small pieces to fit on sliders), and then top halves of buns.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Stir in poppy seeds (if using) and pour over buns. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake sliders, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil cover and bake until golden brown on top, ~1 minute more.
- Serve sliders with vegetables on the side. Enjoy!