Lentil and Brussels Sprouts Salad
with warm apricot vinaigrette
Warm Apricot Vinaigrette:
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Stock, any type - 2 Tbsp (sub water)
- Apricot preserves - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
Lentil and Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- Brussels sprouts - 12 oz , halved
- Figs - 4 , quartered (sub grapes, using 4x more than listed)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cups , drained and rinsed (look for canned or vacuum-packed)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Foil - for roasting
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup
- Mixed greens - 8 oz
- Ginger / Brussels sprouts - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Figs - Quarter figs.
- Lentils - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Toss Brussels sprouts in cooking oil and balsamic vinegar (the portion for the salad). Season with some salt and pepper and spread on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and ‘steam’ in oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove the foil and continue roasting until golden and tender, 10 to 12 minutes more. (For tips, check out this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- While Brussels sprouts roast, make vinaigrette by combining stock, apricot preserves, balsamic vinegar (the portion for the vinaigrette), mustard, and honey in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl with a paper towel and microwave until the vinaigrette is hot ~60 seconds, stirring once in the middle of cooking. (Alternatively, you can heat the vinaigrette in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.) Whisk in olive oil and ginger. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- When Brussels sprouts are finished roasting, combine them with figs, lentils, pistachios, and greens. Toss with warm apricot vinaigrette or serve vinaigrette on the side to dress salads at the table. Enjoy!