Ginger Apricot Glazed Chicken
with fig and mixed greens salad
Ginger Apricot Glazed Chicken:
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Apricot preserves - 1/4 cup (sub any preserves, but note that the flavor profile will be different)
- Tamari - 3 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved and pounded thin
- Flour, any gluten-free - 1/3 cup (sub almond flour / meal)
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
Fig and Mixed Greens Salad:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Figs - 4 , quartered (sub grapes, using 4x more than listed)
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar (portion for salad), maple syrup, mustard, and olive oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make apricot sauce - Grate ginger. Whisk together ginger, apricot preserves, Tamari, vinegar (portion for chicken), stock, and white wine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve chicken breasts. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.2 cm thick. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Figs - Quarter figs.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat.
- Coat each piece of chicken in flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. Place chicken in heated oil and cook until golden on each side, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside and return pan to heat. Add apricot sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until sauce thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pan and turn to coat in glaze. Continue cooking in glaze until cooked through, ~3 minutes more.
- Just before serving, toss figs, mixed greens, and pistachios in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve chicken with sauce spooned over top and salad on the side. Enjoy!