Ginger Apricot Glazed Chickenwith fig and mixed greens salad
This pan-seared chicken in a flavorful sauce is incredibly fast and versatile. When we first featured this dish in 2016 the sauce was made with dried apricots. This time around we're using apricot preserves for a more rich and smooth finish.
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp, grated
- Apricot preserves - 1/4 cup (sub any preserves, but note that the flavor profile will be different)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved and pounded thin
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Figs - 4, quartered (sub grapes, using 4x more than listed)
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar (portion for salad), maple syrup, mustard, and olive oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make apricot sauce - Grate ginger. Whisk together ginger, apricot preserves, soy sauce, vinegar (portion for chicken), stock, and white wine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve chicken breasts. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.2 cm thick. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Figs - Quarter figs.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat.
- Coat each piece of chicken in flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. Place chicken in heated oil and cook until golden on each side, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside and return pan to heat. Add apricot sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until sauce thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pan and turn to coat in glaze. Continue cooking in glaze until cooked through, ~3 minutes more.
- Just before serving, toss figs, mixed greens, and pistachios in vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Serve chicken with sauce spooned over top and salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 50 reviews
Apricot sauce was very good.
Used grapes and chicken stock. Turned out pretty good. Would make again.
The end result was super tasty! It took a bit longer than advertised but I imagine some of that was due to user error. Definitely would make again!
It was fun to make and tasted really good. My husband loved the chicken and my seven year old loved the salad. I did although, double the chicken so it took forever to make, but we will have lots of leftovers. I will be making this again.
The sauce on the chicken and the dressing on the salad both had great flavor, and tasted better than I had expected. I used red grapes in the salad which were really tasty. I prepped the sauce and dressing a few days ahead. I forgot to put the flour on the chicken, which is fine since I prefer to do a littler lower carb, so I used a little xanthan gum to thicken up the sauce. I will be making this again.
Super yummy. Would not change a thing.