Skillet Enchilada Saute with Ground Beef
and zucchini / cauliflower rice
One pan enchilada sautes are a favorite weeknight meal in our community of cooks. This is the first version we've featured with ground beef, and it adds a great heartiness to the finished dish.
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 7 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Kale, curly-leaf - 4 leaves, stems discarded, leaves chopped
- Zucchini - 8 oz, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Enchilada sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Make enchilada sauce - Combine oil (portion for the sauce), chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until spices are fragrant. Whisk in tomato paste and stock. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together and the sauce reduce slightly. (Note: sauce will be fairly thin.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kale / Zucchini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a large skillet with oil (portion for enchiladas) over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers to heated oil. Saute until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini with a pinch of salt and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Add beef and salt to the pan and saute until beef is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid / fat.
- Add kale and enchilada sauce. Continue cooking to heat everything through.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Divide cauliflower rice between serving bowls. Spoon beef and vegetables over top. Enjoy!
Delicious! Makes a lot so will be great for lunches all week. Kids picked out the green stuff but husband and I loved it.0 Helpful
Love this recipe. My kids ask for it regularly.0 Helpful
Kids feel like it is a treat because of cheesy top but I just pack it with veggies 😁0 Helpful
My toddler and husband loved this. I love how much vegetables go in this dish (with all the cheese). We used greek yogurt instead of sour cream and my toddler gobbled it all right up. I didn't feel guilty at all that he just had a heaping dollop of greek yogurt! You can probably used any type of ground meat; we used venison.0 Helpful
I really enjoyed this recipe! My husband did not like the kale in it but I thought it was fine personally.1 Helpful
Easy! I enlisted my 10 year old to make the sauce while I did the chopping. I thought it looked like too much kale and omitted some bit it definitely would not have been too much! Use it all! I think some black pepper and something tangy like goat cheese would probably take this up another level!0 Helpful