Spicy Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale Soup
Smarts: Harissa is a Middle Eastern chili paste - feel free to adjust the spice level to suit your preference. Any hot sauce will work or you can skip it altogether, but the unique smokiness of harissa adds a great flavor dimension to this dish.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Sweet potatoes - 12 oz, peeled and diced
- Kale, any type - 4 leaves, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Sausage, pre-cooked or smoked - 12 oz, diced
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Harissa paste (opt) - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, kale stems, tomato paste, harissa paste (if using), and red pepper flakes with a dash of salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add potatoes, mushrooms, and sausage. Saute until they get a bit golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in stock and tomatoes (including liquid) and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in kale leaves. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls. Enjoy!
I mostly liked this soup, but it wasn't a new favorite. The overall flavor of the broth with the Harissa paste was very yummy, but I'm not a big sausage-eater and I wasn't crazy about the barley either. I liked the kale and potato though!0 Helpful
Excellent soup with a slight kick (we used harissa paste).0 Helpful
Was very simple, and very good. We couldn't find any Harissa paste. We instead substituted in some Harissa Sauce we found in the ethnic aisle and it was still fantastic, but likely changed the recipe outcome to some extent.0 Helpful
Good meal to add to the regular rotation. I made it with bulk Italian sausage and Yukon gold potatoes and left out the spice for my kids.0 Helpful
LOVE this! I used Italian Turkey sausage and gochujang instead of harissa and it was absolutely perfect. Can't wait to make this again!0 Helpful
Really good! I used sweet Italian and kale and fontina chicken sausages. I set the recipe for 6 servings but we could easily stretch it out to 8-9!0 Helpful