Spicy Sausage, Potato, and Kale Soupwith barley
This soup was last featured in 2015 and has a clean, satisfying combination of flavors and textures.
Smarts: Harissa is a Middle Eastern chili paste - feel free to adjust the spice level to suit your preference. Any hot sauce will work or you can skip it altogether, but the unique smokiness of harissa adds a great flavor dimension to this dish.
- Barley, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Kale, any type - 4 leaves, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Sausage, pre-cooked or smoked - 12 oz, diced
- Potatoes, russet - 12 oz, peeled and diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Harissa paste (opt) - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Barley - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Cook for 45 to 55 minutes, until tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Kale / Sausage - Prep as directed. Combine onions and kale stems. Store kale leaves and sausage each in their own container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Dice potatoes. (If not using right away, soak in water to prevent them from turning brown.)
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, kale stems, tomato paste, harissa paste (if using), and red pepper flakes with a dash of salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add potatoes and sausage. Saute until they get a bit golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in barley and kale leaves. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls. Enjoy!
This meal has 45 reviews
Pretty good, but I can see where the sausage would add some flavor that the vegetarian version was lacking
Satisfying, hearty soup. I really enjoyed the spice level of this. It was hot but nicely balanced and flavorful.
The varied textures in this recipe was a major plus, but it needed more seasoning.
Super, making this one again. We used non spicy sausage. And it was yum
So so tasty and more filling than you'd expect! I used red curry paste instead of harissa and put in more kale as I love the stuff!
Tasty and quick! Used smoked Polish sausage. Couldn't find harissa so I subbed Sriracha.