Sesame and Ginger Tofu Lo Mein
with broccoli / cashews
This satisfying one-bowl meal is packed full of vegetables, noodles, and tofu coated in a rich, savory sauce.
Ginger Stir-Fry Sauce:
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp , grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
Sesame and Ginger Tofu Lo Mein:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Noodles, lo mein - 10 oz (sub Udon or soba noodles)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Grate ginger. Combine ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - Cook noodles according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, storing white and green parts separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Toss tofu with cornstarch.
- Heat a nonstick pan with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sear on all sides until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes total. Set tofu aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then broccoli. Saute until broccoli is cooked through (add a splash of water and cover with a lid if you’d like the broccoli more tender), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, and white parts of green onions and saute for 1 minute. Pour sauce over top and bring to a simmer.
- Stir tofu, noodles, and cashews into stir-fry. Toss everything together.
- Squeeze lime juice over lo mein and top with sesame seeds and green parts of green onions. Enjoy!