Sesame Ginger Chicken Lo Mein
with broccoli / cashews
This satisfying one-bowl meal is packed full of vegetables, noodles, and chicken coated in a rich, savory sauce.
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Broccoli - 10 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Noodles, lo mein - 10 oz (sub Udon or soba noodles)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Make sauce - Grate ginger. Combine ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - Cook noodles according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, storing white and green parts separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken into cubes. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then broccoli. Saute until broccoli is cooked through (add a splash of water and cover with a lid if you’d like the broccoli more tender), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, and white parts of green onions and saute for 1 minute. Pour sauce over top and bring to a simmer.
- Stir chicken, noodles, and cashews into stir-fry. Toss everything together.
- Squeeze lime juice over lo mein and top with sesame seeds and green parts of green onions. Enjoy!
This was my first time cooking tofu, it was definitely something different I got it crisp outside but then the inside didn't have much taste. Though I suppose you not supposed to pick out and taste a tofu by it's self. This dish would have been good to leave out the tofu and do whole mushrooms as well. I'd say double up on the broccoli and sauce.0 Helpful
We really enjoyed this. I didn’t add the chilli flakes (toddler) and added a splash of fish sauce and chili oil to the adult portion. We didn’t have cashews, almonds worked great.0 Helpful
Easy and so yummy! This one was my husband's favorite. I think I'll add more broccoli next time though. The amount called for might be enough for most people but I like to see more green in my meals!0 Helpful
Good result. Easy to prep.0 Helpful
We subed soba noodles and it was delicious!0 Helpful
So delicious! Added a splash of fish sauce and it made all the difference.0 Helpful