Vietnamese Mushroom and Tofu Noodle Bowls
with vermicelli / carrots / cucumbers / lime dressing
Smarts: Southeast Asian dressings are very light and will gather in the bottom of the bowl. Just toss everything together as you eat to keep it coated in dressing.
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, cubed (vacuum packed preferable)
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button (look for pre-sliced to save time) - 8 oz, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Limes, juice - 2
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Noodles, thin rice vermicelli - 3 oz (find these in the ethnic food aisle or sub soba or spaghetti)
- Carrots - 5 oz, matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, matchsticks
- Lettuce, green and small - 1 head, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, chopped
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Vietnamese dressing with lime (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Combine with sugar, vinegar, soy sauce (the portion for the dressing), lime juice, water (the portion for the dressing), and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine honey, soy sauce (portion for stir-fry), water (portion for stir-fry), and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Thinly slice mushrooms and remove any tough stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook rice noodles - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Cook according to package instructions. If not using right away, rinse noodles under cool water and store in an airtight container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Carrots (if not pre-shredded) / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and store in one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok or saute pan with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu with some salt and pepper to heated oil and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer tofu to a plate and return wok to heat.
- Heat second part of cooking oil and add mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Give stir-fry sauce a stir. Add the tofu back to the pan along with stir-fry sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu and mushrooms, ~2 minutes more.
- Whisk dressing. Taste and season if needed by adding a pinch of salt, sugar, or some lime juice.
- Assemble salads by combining lettuce, noodles, cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms, and tofu in serving bowls. (If noodles were doubled, remember to save half for Wednesday.) Top with mint and peanuts. Pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss well. Enjoy!
Delicious! Takes some prep time, but is well worth it.0 Helpful
Made then paleo version and did everything by weight (metric) and it turned out perfectly first go. Which is great because I was looking at the dressing and wondering....but the ration was bang on using weight.0 Helpful
chicken was super easy and delicious.0 Helpful
Really easy to modify this to make it vegan, and it was delicious!!0 Helpful
We really liked this meal! The fish sauce dressing made us gag (that smell is so bad) so we opted to just put soy sauce on top. So good!0 Helpful
I quite liked this. The dressing is really good.0 Helpful