Vietnamese Chicken Salad
with mushrooms / carrots / cucumbers / lime dressing
Smarts: Southeast Asian dressings are very light and will gather in the bottom of the bowl. Just toss everything together as you eat to keep the salad coated in dressing.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Mushrooms, any button (look for pre-sliced to save time) - 8 oz, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 4 Tbsp
- Limes, juice - 2
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Carrots - 5 oz, matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, matchsticks
- Lettuce, green and small - 1 head, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, chopped
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Vietnamese dressing with lime (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Marinate chicken - Cut chicken into thin slices. Combine honey (portion for the chicken) and aminos and pour over chicken pieces. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Combine with honey (portion for the dressing), vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, water, and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Thinly slice mushrooms and remove any tough stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Carrots (if not pre-shredded) / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and store in one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a plate and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to hot wok, reserving marinade, and saute until chicken is nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cooked mushrooms back to the wok along with all of the reserved marinade and continue cooking until marinade reduces and coats chicken, ~2 minutes more.
- Whisk dressing. Taste and season if needed by adding a pinch of salt or some lime juice.
- Assemble salads by combining lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms, and chicken in serving bowls. Top with mint and cashews. Pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss well. Enjoy!
Delicious! Takes some prep time, but is well worth it.0 Helpful
Made then paleo version and did everything by weight (metric) and it turned out perfectly first go. Which is great because I was looking at the dressing and wondering....but the ration was bang on using weight.0 Helpful
chicken was super easy and delicious.0 Helpful
Really easy to modify this to make it vegan, and it was delicious!!0 Helpful
We really liked this meal! The fish sauce dressing made us gag (that smell is so bad) so we opted to just put soy sauce on top. So good!0 Helpful
I quite liked this. The dressing is really good.0 Helpful