Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Bowls
with vermicelli / carrots / cucumbers / lime dressing
Smarts: Southeast Asian dressings are very light and will gather in the bottom of the bowl. Just toss everything together as you eat to keep it coated in dressing.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced
- Honey - 3 Tbsp
- Tamari - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 4 Tbsp
- Limes, juice - 2
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Noodles, thin rice vermicelli - 3 oz (find these in the ethnic food aisle or sub soba or gluten-free spaghetti)
- Carrots - 5 oz, matchsticks (look for pre-shredded)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, matchsticks
- Lettuce, green and small - 1 head, chopped
- Mint, fresh - 8 leaves, chopped
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Vietnamese dressing with lime (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Marinate chicken - Cut chicken into thin slices. Combine honey and Tamari and pour over chicken pieces. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger. Combine with sugar, vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, water, and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook rice noodles - (Double if making Wednesday's dinner.) Cook according to package instructions. If not using right away, rinse noodles under cool water and store in an airtight container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Carrots (if not pre-shredded) / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and store in one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Mint - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to hot pan, reserving marinade. Saute until chicken is nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining marinade and cook until marinade reduces and coats chicken, ~2 minutes.
- Whisk dressing. Taste and season if needed by adding a pinch of salt, sugar, or some lime juice.
- Assemble salads by combining lettuce, noodles, cucumbers, carrots, and chicken in serving bowls. (If noodles were doubled, remember to save half for Wednesday.) Top with mint and peanuts. Pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss well. Enjoy!
Delicious! Takes some prep time, but is well worth it.0 Helpful
Made then paleo version and did everything by weight (metric) and it turned out perfectly first go. Which is great because I was looking at the dressing and wondering....but the ration was bang on using weight.0 Helpful
chicken was super easy and delicious.0 Helpful
Really easy to modify this to make it vegan, and it was delicious!!0 Helpful
We really liked this meal! The fish sauce dressing made us gag (that smell is so bad) so we opted to just put soy sauce on top. So good!0 Helpful
I quite liked this. The dressing is really good.0 Helpful