Taco Salad with Spiced Pinto Beans
and honey-adobo dressing
A classic taco salad feels like a good way to round out a week of home-cooked meals, and this one has all of our favorite toppings - seasoned beans and corn, avocados, cheese, and tortilla chips for crunch.
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like iceberg or Boston leaf - 8 oz , shredded
- Tomatoes, Roma - 4 , chopped
- Avocados - 1 , diced
- Olives, black and sliced (4 oz / 113 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, pinto (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 4 oz
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
Make honey-adobo sauce / dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead for Wednesday.) Whisk together vinegar, adobo sauce, honey, paprika (portion for sauce / dressing), and oil (portion for sauce / dressing). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make spice mix - Combine cumin, coriander, paprika (portion for salad), garlic powder, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Olives - Drain and rinse.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Corn - Defrost corn.
Heat a skillet with oil (portion for taco salad) over medium heat. Add beans and corn. Saute for 1 minute to heat through. Add spice mix and saute for 1 to 2 minutes more, until spices are fragrant.
Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with bell peppers, tomatoes, avocados, and olives. Top with beans, corn, and cheese.
Dress salads with honey-adobo dressing. Serve with tortilla chips (you can crumble these over the top or use them to scoop up the other ingredients). Enjoy!