Chicken Wings and Drumettes with Honey-Adobo Sauce
with roasted broccoli / rice and beans
Smarts: Check out this video on how to make baked wings and drumettes (the version featured uses an Asian-inspired sauce).
- Chicken, small wings and drumettes - 2 lbs
- Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Foil - for baking
- Lemons - 1/2, wedges
- Honey Adobo Sauce and Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2, wedges
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2/3 cup
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating and chicken cooking before continuing with prep.) Pat wings and drumettes dry. Toss with baking powder and salt. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Cook rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), cumin, and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make honey-adobo sauce / dressing - (Double if making Thursday night’s meal.) Whisk together vinegar, adobo sauce, honey, paprika, and oil (portion for dressing). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C. Set out two sheet pans.
- Line the first sheet pan with foil. Place an oven-safe cooling rack on top. Top cooling rack with chicken wings and drumettes, leaving some space in between them so that air can circulate (this will help them to get crispy). Roast chicken until cooked through and crisp and golden on the outside, turning halfway through cooking, ~35 minutes. (Check out this video to see how we make baked chicken wings.)
- Spread broccoli and garlic on the second sheet pan. Toss with oil (portion for broccoli) and season with some salt. Roast broccoli until tender, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, ~20 minutes.
- Slice lemons (for chicken and broccoli) and chop cilantro.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat. Stir in beans and cilantro.
- When broccoli is finished, squeeze lemon wedges (portion for broccoli) over top.
- When chicken is finished, toss it with honey- adobo sauce (reserve half if doubled for Thursday).
- Serve chicken over rice with broccoli and some lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
So tasty! The honey adobo sauce gave the wings a great flavor without being overly sweet or greasy. Will repeat!0 Helpful
I LOVED THIS RECIPE in the paleo version. I had never heard of arrowroot powder before and it made a giant difference in the crispiness of the skin. The honey adobo sauce is soooo easy and I will be using it for tons of things.0 Helpful
We actually liked these wings (drumettes) more than when we go out to restaurants!0 Helpful
Couldn’t find wings so it didn’t turn out as crispy but still very good!0 Helpful
I never was able to get crispy chicken until this recipe. I just lightly sauced them so they were still crispy after! Delicious!0 Helpful
These are delicious! I was less excited about the rice, but the chicken was so tasty that it didn't really matter.0 Helpful