Chicken and Vegetable Soup
with basil / zucchini / mushrooms
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Tomatoes, sun-dried - 4, drained and chopped (from a can of sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- Zucchini - 12 oz, diced
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Basil (opt) - 6 leaves, chiffonade
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Onions / Garlic / Sun-dried tomatoes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Mushrooms - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Basil - Chiffonade basil.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and saute with aromatics just to get it started cooking.
- Add tomatoes (including liquid) and stock.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms to soup. Reduce heat to a low simmer (be careful not to let it boil or the chicken will turn tough) and cover soup with a lid. Simmer until zucchini is tender and chicken is cooked through, ~10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Top with basil. Enjoy!
This was tasty and pretty easy to put together, but I expected just a little more flavor with all of the awesome ingredients. Everyone in my family loved it, though, and went back for seconds. We had cheddar biscuits with our meal. This was a good solid meal, and we will make this again.0 Helpful
I love the immersion idea, my kids are more likely to eat it that way, the 3 year old doesn't like pieces of tomato. It may be a little spicy for her, but will possibly mix in some yogurt or coconut milk for them. This is an extremely fast recipe.0 Helpful
Keto friendly!0 Helpful
This is one of my favorite soups to make - super easy with great flavor.0 Helpful
Tasty and comforting on a rainy day, although nothing that blew my socks off. I had so many vegetables that I added about 1.5 cups of water to a 4 serving soup just so that it stayed...a soup.0 Helpful
I added Italian sausage to this, because my husband likes meat with dinner. Very good, will make again.0 Helpful