with chickpeas / cauliflower / naan
Taking the flavors of Indian cuisine as inspiration, this is a creative twist on traditional Shakshuka that involves eggs being poached in a rich tomato sauce. Reviewers loved the depth of flavor that came from the optional step of toasting spices when this dish was first featured in 2016.
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Curry powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Cayenne - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Cauliflower, frozen - 16 oz
- Eggs, large - 4
- Naan - 4 rounds (sub any flatbread)
- Yogurt, plain - for serving
- Make spice mix - Combine coriander, cumin, curry powder, ginger, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne. (Can be done ahead at any time)
- (Optional step) Toast spices: Heat a frying pan over medium heat and warm up / toast spices until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Garlic / Onions - Prep as directed. Store together. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat up a saute pan that you have a lid for over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil to pan; once oil is heated, add garlic and onions. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, cauliflower, and beans with spice mix and some salt. Mix everything together and saute for ~5 minutes. Taste and season with more salt or additional spices.
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- Toast naan.
- Divide filling and eggs between serving bowls. Top with a dollop of yogurt, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy with naan!