Sopa Azteca with Lentils
with tortilla chips / avocados
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Avocados - 1, diced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Lentils, red and uncooked - 1/3 cup (sub pre-cooked lentils; triple the amount of uncooked lentils listed)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Tortilla chips - 2 cups, crushed (plus more for serving)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, bell peppers, and carrots. Saute until vegetables are starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce. Bring to a simmer. If using raw lentils add them now (wait if using pre-cooked lentils).
- Simmer soup for 5 to 6 minutes to let flavors come together. (If you added raw lentils, continue simmering with the lid on until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes total.)
- Stir in corn and lentils (if using pre-cooked) and continue cooking until everything is warmed through. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Crush tortilla chips and divide between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top of crushed chips (give the soup a stir to mix the tortilla chips in).
- Serve soup with avocados, limes, cilantro, sour cream, and extra tortilla chips to be added at the table. Enjoy!
Don't have a slower cooker so did this on the stove: (1) brown chicken, set aside (2) sauté veggies a bit (3) combine all spices, stock, etc with veggies and continue to sauté until veggies are pretty much cooked (4) add chicken back in (5) simmer for 15+min. Tasted amazing!3 Helpful
Really good. Not something I’d do every week. Make extra to freeze. Especially good with the lime, sour cream, and chips on top.0 Helpful
Family favorite! Made many times.0 Helpful
I liked it!0 Helpful
Really enjoyed this! I always halve the spice for my boys and didn't even put in adobo sauce. I couldn’t get enough! (Actually there was plenty but was sooo good!)0 Helpful
SO YUMMY0 Helpful
Decent. There was some flavor in there, like a tartness? that I wasn't a fan of. This was prior to using any lime juice. It didn't taste as good as it smelled (although it admittedly smelled amazing) so I was disappointed.0 Helpful