Sopa Azteca with Lentils
with tortilla chips / avocados
A blend of spices and some smoky adobo sauce give this soup great flavor, but it's the fact that you ladle the finished soup over crushed tortilla chips that makes it truly unique. The tortilla chips will soften to give the soup body and flavor, but feel free to add some more on top for crunch.
Sopa Azteca with Lentils:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz , cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Avocados - 1 , diced
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Lentils, red and uncooked - 1/3 cup (sub pre-cooked lentils; triple the amount of uncooked lentils listed)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Tortilla chips - 2 cups , crushed (plus more for serving)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions, bell peppers, and carrots. Saute until vegetables are starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce. Bring to a simmer. If using raw lentils add them now (wait if using pre-cooked lentils).
- Simmer soup for 5 to 6 minutes to let flavors come together. (If you added raw lentils, continue simmering with the lid on until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes total.)
- Stir in corn and lentils (if using pre-cooked) and continue cooking until everything is warmed through. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Crush tortilla chips and divide between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top of crushed chips (give the soup a stir to mix the tortilla chips in).
- Serve soup with avocados, limes, cilantro, sour cream, and extra tortilla chips to be added at the table. Enjoy!