Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca with Chicken
with pepitas / avocados
A blend of spices and some smoky adobo sauce give this soup great flavor that develops slowly as the soup simmers in the slow cooker. Serve the finished dish with pepitas on top for crunch.
Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz , cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 2 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs (sub chicken thighs)
- Avocados - 1 , diced
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Pepitas - 1/4 cup
- Onions / Bell peppers / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, onions, bell peppers, carrots, garlic, stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- Avocados / Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Divide into serving bowls.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and shred or chop it. Return chicken to slow cooker. Season soup with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Serve with avocados, limes, cilantro, and pepitas to be added at the table. Enjoy!