Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca with Chicken
with tortilla chips / avocados
A blend of spices and some smoky adobo sauce give this soup great flavor, but it's the fact that you ladle the finished soup over crushed tortilla chips that makes it truly unique. The tortilla chips will soften to give the soup body and flavor, but feel free to add some more on top for crunch.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 2 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb (sub chicken thighs)
- Avocados - 1, diced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Tortilla chips - 2 cups, crushed (plus more for serving)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Onions / Bell peppers / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, onions, bell peppers, carrots, garlic, stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with corn and then chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- Avocados / Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Divide into serving bowls.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and shred or chop it. Return chicken to slow cooker. Season soup with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Crush tortilla chips and divide between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top of crushed chips (give the soup a stir to mix the tortilla chips in).
- Serve soup with avocados, limes, cilantro, sour cream, and extra tortilla chips to be added at the table. Enjoy!
I liked it!0 Helpful
Really enjoyed this! I always halve the spice for my boys and didn't even put in adobo sauce. I couldn’t get enough! (Actually there was plenty but was sooo good!)0 Helpful
SO YUMMY0 Helpful
Decent. There was some flavor in there, like a tartness? that I wasn't a fan of. This was prior to using any lime juice. It didn't taste as good as it smelled (although it admittedly smelled amazing) so I was disappointed.0 Helpful
Easy to make. Pretty good.0 Helpful
This soup was easy to make and quite tasty. We did a small can of the Adobo chilies with the sauce and it had a really nice kick (hint: remove the chilies before eating unless you like things super spicy).0 Helpful