Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca with Chicken
with tortilla chips / avocados
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 2 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb (sub chicken thighs)
- Avocados - 1, diced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Tortilla chips - 2 cups, crushed (plus more for serving)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Onions / Bell peppers / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, onions, bell peppers, carrots, garlic, stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with corn and then chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- Avocados / Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Divide into serving bowls.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and shred or chop it. Return chicken to slow cooker. Season soup with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Crush tortilla chips and divide between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top of crushed chips (give the soup a stir to mix the tortilla chips in).
- Serve soup with avocados, limes, cilantro, sour cream, and extra tortilla chips to be added at the table. Enjoy!
Don't have a slower cooker so did this on the stove: (1) brown chicken, set aside (2) sauté veggies a bit (3) combine all spices, stock, etc with veggies and continue to sauté until veggies are pretty much cooked (4) add chicken back in (5) simmer for 15+min. Tasted amazing!2 Helpful
Really good. Not something I’d do every week. Make extra to freeze. Especially good with the lime, sour cream, and chips on top.0 Helpful
Family favorite! Made many times.0 Helpful
I liked it!0 Helpful
Really enjoyed this! I always halve the spice for my boys and didn't even put in adobo sauce. I couldn’t get enough! (Actually there was plenty but was sooo good!)0 Helpful
SO YUMMY0 Helpful
Decent. There was some flavor in there, like a tartness? that I wasn't a fan of. This was prior to using any lime juice. It didn't taste as good as it smelled (although it admittedly smelled amazing) so I was disappointed.0 Helpful