Grilled Chicken Salad
with kalamata olives / green beans
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Olives, pitted Kalmata - 1/2 cup, sliced
- Green beans - 12 oz, trimmed and chopped
- Lettuce - 8 oz, chopped (any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf)
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 6 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Combine with vinegar, mustard, honey, and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve and then season and tenderize. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Toss chicken in half the prepared vinaigrette (reserve the other half to dress the salad). Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Olives - prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim and cut into 1/2” / 1.25 cm pieces. Place in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- If cooking on the grill: Heat grill to 400F / 163C degrees, keeping one part over direct heat and one part over indirect heat. Brush grates with some cooking oil. Place chicken over direct heat. Sear chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side and transfer to indirect heat. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C degrees, an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- If cooking on the stovetop: Place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan with some cooking oil and sear chicken on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil or lid, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- To assemble salads, toss together lettuce, tomatoes, walnuts, green beans, olives, and chicken. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
Pretty standard chicken and salad recipe -- liked the marinade on the chicken.0 Helpful
This was delicious. I used made the spiced chickpeas (from the spiced chickpea grain bowl left out the cumin) added those instead of feta and added cucumbers instead of green beans.0 Helpful
Easy and tasty. Use the grill!0 Helpful
I think some feta would’ve improved this salad. We liked the marinade for the chicken0 Helpful
I wish we’d added feta or some other cheese to it. Overall it was fine.0 Helpful
The best cooksmart salad recipe that I've made! Whole family loved it.0 Helpful