Balsamic Marinated Portobello Mushrooms
with peach / arugula / quinoa / balsamic reduction
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/3 cup (any inexpensive brand)
Balsamic Marinated Portobello Mushrooms:
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4
- Garlic - 3 cloves , peeled and crushed
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp (any inexpensive brand)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
Peach and Arugula Salad with Quinoa:
- Quinoa, uncooked - 1/2 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 cup (sub water)
- Peaches - 3 , sliced
- Arugula - 8 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Marinate mushrooms - Remove mushroom stems and scrape out gills using the side of a spoon. Peel garlic and crush the cloves with the palm of your hand. Combine garlic with balsamic vinegar (the portion for the mushrooms), cooking oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and Italian seasonings. Coat mushrooms in marinade and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make balsamic reduction - Simmer balsamic vinegar (the portion for the reduction) in a small saucepan until it reduces by at least half and thickens to the texture of syrup. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peaches - Slice peaches.
- If making mushrooms on grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove mushrooms from marinade (discard marinade) and season with some salt and pepper. Place over direct heat. Sear mushrooms on each side until grill marks appear, ~2 minutes on each side. Move to indirect heat and close lid. Cook with lid closed until mushrooms are tender, ~4 minutes more. Slice.
- If making mushrooms on stovetop: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Remove mushrooms from marinade (discard marinade) and season with some salt and pepper. Add portobellos to heated pan. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Cover pan with foil or lid and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until mushrooms are tender. Slice.
- While mushrooms cook, toss quinoa with arugula, peach slices, almonds, and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over both mushrooms and salad. Enjoy!