Balsamic Flank Steak
with peach and arugula salad / balsamic reduction
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/3 cup (any inexpensive brand)
Balsamic Flank Steak:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , peeled and crushed
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp (any inexpensive brand)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Steak, flank, sirloin or skirt - 1 1/2 lb
- Foil - for cooking
Peach, Arugula, and Almond Salad:
- Peaches - 3 , sliced
- Arugula - 8 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Marinate steak - Peel garlic and crush the cloves with the palm of your hand. Combine garlic with balsamic vinegar (the portion for the steak), cooking oil, aminos, and Italian seasonings. Tenderize steak with a fork and pour marinade over top. Let steak marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make balsamic reduction - Simmer balsamic vinegar (the portion for the reduction) in a small saucepan until it reduces by at least half and thickens to the texture of syrup. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peaches - Slice peaches.
- If making steak on grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously with salt and pepper. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop: Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil or lid, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- Remove steak from heat, cover in foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak cooks, toss arugula with peach slices, almonds, and olive oil.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over both steak and salad. Enjoy!