Balsamic Flank Steakwith peach and arugula salad / balsamic reduction
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/3 cup (any inexpensive brand)
- Garlic - 3 cloves, peeled and crushed
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp (any inexpensive brand)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, brown - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Steak, flank, sirloin or skirt - 1 1/2 lb
- Foil - for cooking
- Peaches - 3, sliced
- Arugula - 8 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/2 cup
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Marinate steak - Peel garlic and crush the cloves with the palm of your hand. Combine garlic with balsamic vinegar (the portion for the steak), cooking oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and Italian seasonings. Tenderize steak with a fork and pour marinade over top. Let steak marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make balsamic reduction - Simmer balsamic vinegar (the portion for the reduction) in a small saucepan until it reduces by at least half and thickens to the texture of syrup. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peaches - Slice peaches.
- If making steak on grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously with salt and pepper. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop: Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade) and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil or lid, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- Remove steak from heat, cover in foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- While steak cooks, toss arugula with peach slices, almonds, and olive oil.
- Drizzle balsamic reduction over both steak and salad. Enjoy!
This meal has 29 reviews
I made the steak in a frying pan. Followed directions exactly and it turned out perfect. The meal is simple and delicious.
This flavor was amazing on the steak. It is one of our go to steaks now!
Grilled the mushrooms and those were delicious! Salad was good, too, but felt it needed a little extra something. Still, I'd definitely make and eat this again.
I overcooked the steak, as per usual, because at the time recommended by the recipe my meat thermometer said it wasn't even close to the temperature it should be. Next time I'm listening to the recipe and ignoring the thermometer for sure!
I really enjoyed this one. I'd only worked with skirt steak one other time, and it was a disaster. With this recipe, the steak was so flavorful! I'd also never really used balsamic in anything, and found it to be a welcome addition to both the steak and the salad.
meh. just ok