Tofu Soba Noodles
with carrots / coleslaw mix
A rich brown sauce coats the noodles and vegetables in this one-pan dish that comes together in a flash. This is a classic Cook Smarts recipe that was most recently featured in 2017.
Tofu Soba Noodles:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1" / 2.5 cm cubes (vacuum packed preferable)
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Miso paste, any color - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp
- Noodles, soba - 8 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine brown sugar, miso, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and soy sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add soba noodles and cook according to packaged instructions. (Soba noodles don’t take long to cook, so keep an eye out.) Drain.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then tofu to heated oil. Saute until tofu is golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then carrots. Saute until carrots are nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add coleslaw mix and garlic and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Pour stir-fry sauce over top and bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch / water mixture while stirring. Simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in soba noodles and tofu. Squeeze juice from one of the lime wedges over top.
- Serve tofu soba noodles with cilantro on top and lime wedges and hot sauce on the side to use as garnishes. Enjoy!