Chicken Kelp Noodles
with carrots / coleslaw mix
A rich brown sauce coats the noodles (use kelp or yam noodles for this paleo-friendly version) and vegetables in this one-pan dish, which comes together in a flash thanks to pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. This is a classic Cook Smarts recipe that was most recently featured in 2017.
Chicken Kelp Noodles:
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2 , meat shredded
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp
- Kelp or yam noodles - 8 oz (substitute spiralized zucchini "noodles" or zucchini sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler)
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, aminos, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rotisserie chicken - (Skip if this was done ahead on Tuesday.) Take meat off the bone and slice with a knife. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Kelp or yam noodles - These noodles typically come ready to use after rinsing and draining, but check the package instructions just in case your version requires a different preparation. (If using zucchini as a sub, turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. Microwave, covered with a damp paper towel until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.)
- Whisk together arrowroot powder and water.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then carrots. Saute until carrots are nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add coleslaw mix and garlic and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Pour stir-fry sauce over top and bring to a simmer. Add arrowroot / water mixture while stirring. Simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in kelp noodles and juice from one of the lime wedges. Add rotisserie chicken.
- Serve chicken and kelp noodles with cilantro on top and lime wedges and hot sauce on the side to use as garnishes. Enjoy!