Chicken Kelp Noodles
with carrots / coleslaw mix
A rich brown sauce coats the noodles (use kelp or yam noodles for this paleo-friendly version) and vegetables in this one-pan dish, which comes together in a flash thanks to pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. This is a classic Cook Smarts recipe that was most recently featured in 2017.
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, meat shredded
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp
- Kelp or yam noodles - 8 oz (substitute spiralized zucchini "noodles" or zucchini sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler)
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, aminos, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rotisserie chicken - (Skip if this was done ahead on Tuesday.) Take meat off the bone and slice with a knife. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Kelp or yam noodles - These noodles typically come ready to use after rinsing and draining, but check the package instructions just in case your version requires a different preparation. (If using zucchini as a sub, turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. Microwave, covered with a damp paper towel until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.)
- Whisk together arrowroot powder and water.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then carrots. Saute until carrots are nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add coleslaw mix and garlic and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Pour stir-fry sauce over top and bring to a simmer. Add arrowroot / water mixture while stirring. Simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in kelp noodles and juice from one of the lime wedges. Add rotisserie chicken.
- Serve chicken and kelp noodles with cilantro on top and lime wedges and hot sauce on the side to use as garnishes. Enjoy!
I didn't have tofu so added edamame and used broccoli instead of cole slaw mix. I also added peanut butter to the sauce. Cam eout really well.0 Helpful
very good and fast meal!! you could use any vegetables.0 Helpful
cooked my own chicken rather than using rotisserie0 Helpful
Loved this and kids loved it, even as leftovers.0 Helpful
I made this according to the recipe, and then I made it again to use up some of the coleslaw mix. The second time, I subbed half an onion for the garlic, and an orange bell pepper for the carrot. I also subbed honey for the brown sugar, and added a little baby spinach at the end to give it a little more greenage. I eliminated the lime on the second go around, because the bell pepper added some acid. In the place of the tofu, I used two salmon fillets cut into 1" cubes.0 Helpful
This was good. Had extra asparagus and mushrooms that I added to the stir fry. Loved it!0 Helpful