Chicken and Broccoli Saute
We dug deep in our archives to find this one-pan saute with chicken, bacon, and broccoli in a creamy sauce that many community members return to again and again for a quick weeknight meal.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped
- Bacon - 8 slices, chopped
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, shredded
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Arrowroot powder - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Onions / Broccoli / Bacon - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook broccoli - Place broccoli in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave until tender but still crunchy, 2 to 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rotisserie chicken - (Chop chicken for Thursday night at the same time.) Take meat off the bone and chop with a knife. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Mix together stock, aminos, mustard, red pepper flakes, and arrowroot powder.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then bacon and onions to the heated oil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add chicken (reserve half if doubled for Thursday) and saute until chicken is heated through, ~1 minute.
- Add sauce and broccoli to pan. Wait until sauce begins to bubble and then stir everything together. Continue cooking until sauce thickens and broccoli is heated through, ~2 minutes more.
- Season with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce if you’d like it spicy. Enjoy!
It was good, but I would reduce the mustard and add more cheese.0 Helpful
Having read the reviews, I made a couple of modifications: swapped nutmeg for smoky paprika (do it!), brown mustard for Dijon (we hate Dijon), added dash of Better than Bullion, and a bit of butter. It was a hit! Easy weeknight meal. Favorite.0 Helpful
Yum! Adult Mac & Cheese is amazing. Now that we have the recipe for cheese sauce from week of 10/28/18, I would love to use it for this recipe.0 Helpful
Very good! Great "adult" Mac'n'Cheese. Used regular chicken breasts cut up and sautéed first.0 Helpful
My 7yo daughter loved this. It was actually quite excellent after I added smoked paprika to mine.0 Helpful
Really freaking good. A nice twist on mac and cheese.0 Helpful