Ginger and Pineapple Chicken Stir-fry
with pineapple smoothie
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Kale - 3 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1 tsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Fish sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Pineapple chunks, frozen or canned - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds (opt) - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 2 tsp
- Pineapple chunks, frozen or canned - 3 cups
- Banana - 1
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Sweetener of choice (opt) - to taste
- Bell peppers / Kale / Garlic / Green onions - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Peel and grate ginger. Whisk together ginger, garlic, aminos, curry paste, fish sauce, vinegar, and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead.)
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken and tenderize with a fork. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Pineapple (for stir-fry) - Defrost and chop if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
- Make smoothie - Combine pineapple (for the smoothie; drain if using canned), banana, coconut milk, and lime juice in a blender. If using fresh or canned pineapple add 1 cup ice (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). Blend until smooth. Taste and add sweetener if you’d like.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then bell peppers and kale stems to heated oil. Saute until bell peppers are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add white parts of green onions (reserve green parts) and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add kale leaves, pineapple (portion for stir-fry), and sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and fold in chicken and cashews.
- Divide stir-fry between bowls and top with sesame seeds (if using), green parts of green onions, and lime wedges. Finish with hot sauce at the table if you'd like. Enjoy with smoothie on the side!
Loved this recipe as a way to use up pretty much anything in the fridge - it's so flexible. We had pork to use up so we added that after the egg cooking step, and then used spinach/cabbage/peas/corn because we didn't have kale or bell peppers. Definitely going to be a go-to for us.0 Helpful
I think I've made this meal around 5 times now. I've added a variety of veggies, used different grains and it's delicious every time!0 Helpful
Flavors were great! We all enjoyed this but thankfully my husband wasn’t home because 4 servings barely fed me and two boys. Next time I’d add cauliflower rice. Or even leave the kale out of the mix and sauté up a whole head to put the stir fry on. Smoothies are always a hit as the boys after dinner treat.0 Helpful
So delicious!! My baby couldn’t get enough! We added shredded carrots and bamboo shoots.0 Helpful
Really good flavor. Skimpy serving size. Next time I would add some cauliflower fried rice. The smoothie was good too and made plenty.0 Helpful
I add protein to this - we e tried beef, chicken, and tofu, and it was delicious all times. So good my husband wants it every week!0 Helpful