Green Gazpachowith bruschetta
Gazpacho is a chilled soup that is unique and refreshing in hot weather. This version is made with fresh green vegetables (in contrast to the typical base of tomatoes). Adding bread cubes soaked in spices and yogurt is a technique used in Spain to give the gazpacho extra substance and texture.
Smarts: Flavors mellow as they chill, so be sure to taste and season your gazpacho with salt and pepper right before serving.
- Baguette - 2 oz, cubed
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cup
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup (plus more for serving)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped, seeds removed
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Tomatillos - 12 oz, quartered
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Baguette - 8 oz, sliced into rounds
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Basil - 6 leaves, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Baguette (for gazpacho and bruschetta) - Cube portion of baguette for gazpacho. Slice portion of baguette for bruschetta into rounds.
- Soak baguette cubes - Whisk together stock, cumin, white wine vinegar, olive oil (portion for gazpacho), lemon juice, and yogurt. Add baguette (portion for gazpacho) and stir everything to combine. Set aside for up to 20 minutes to let baguette soften slightly.
- Garlic (for gazpacho and bruschetta) / Jalapenos / Cucumbers / Tomatillos - Prep as directed. Combine garlic for gazpacho with jalapenos, cucumbers, and tomatillos. Store garlic for bruschetta separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make gazpacho - Combine baguette (including yogurt mixture), garlic (for gazpacho), jalapenos, cucumbers, and tomatillos in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add some water if the gazpacho is too thick. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions and combine green and white parts. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make bruschetta topping - Combine basil, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil (portion for bruschetta). Season with some salt (it will really bring out the flavor of the tomatoes).
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C.
- Spread baguette rounds (for bruschetta) out in a single layer on a sheet pan. Brush the top of each baguette round with some olive oil. Gently rub garlic cloves (for bruschetta) on the tops of the baguette rounds (this will give the bread a mild garlic flavor).
- Toast baguette rounds until golden and crisp, 6 to 10 minutes (depending on thickness).
- While baguette rounds bake, season gazpacho with some salt and pepper.
- Top baguette rounds with bruschetta topping.
- Divide gazpacho between serving bowls. Top with yogurt and green onions. Serve gazpacho with bruschetta on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 36 reviews
Loved it when actually made from tomatillios but substitute versions did not work.. If and when I find tomatillios then it's on my summer menue
This came out almost unbearably tart. I think my tomatillos just weren't very good, but that tanked the whole thing.
LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS! While I realize why someone may not like the texture (I had to use a blender because I don't have a food processor), but I still so enjoyed the flavors. I will say, the garlic made me think I needed to keep the mints coming the next day at work! ;)
Wow! Only one tiny garlic clove and no jalapeños and my family loved the cold green soup- including the 4yo who despises cucumvbrts and tomatoes. Used chicken cutlets without tenderizing and it was still delicious with the almond crust. It did take longer than 3 min per side and I had to turn heat down to medium low to not burn crust. Used wheat/seed bread instead of bruschetta and sherry because I wasn’t sure what white vinegar to use. PRO TIP about gently rubbing garlic on the toast!!! Thanks CS, surprise favorite.
Both the texture and the taste were weird. Maybe I'm just not a fan of gazpacho. Giving it an extra star for the tasty bruschetta; otherwise, this would be a 1.
We liked the gazpacho more than we thought we would, but still aren't big fans of it. Bruschetta was great!