Red Curry Glazed Tofu
with coconut rice / Thai mango herb salad
A sweet-spicy glaze coats the tofu in this easy, tropical meal.
Smarts: Like most Southeast Asian-inspired vinaigrettes, the one served with the salad in this meal is very light. Toss the salad just before serving to coat all of the elements and don't worry if some vinaigrette pools in the bottom of the bowl.
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz , 1" / 2.5 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Curry paste, red - 1 Tbsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 1/2 cups
- Coconut milk, light - 1 1/2 cups
- Water - 1 1/4 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Lettuce, butterhead - 5 oz , leaves torn
- Mangos - 1 , peeled and cubed
- Basil - 8 leaves , chiffonade
- Mung bean sprouts - 2 oz (sub chopped raw snow peas)
Rice - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven with rice, coconut milk, water, and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make glaze - Whisk together curry paste, honey, and soy sauce (portion for tofu). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together soy sauce (portion for salad), toasted sesame oil, vinegar, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Green onions - Chop green onions, combining green and white parts. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Combine green onions, lettuce, mangos, basil, and mung bean sprouts in a bowl.
Heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sear on all sides until golden brown, ~8 minutes total.
When tofu is golden brown, add glaze and toss to coat tofu in glaze.
Add vinaigrette to salad and toss until dressed to your liking.
If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half for Thursday).
Serve tofu over rice with salad on the side. Enjoy!