BLT Chopped Salad
and watermelon lime smoothie
Inspired by bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches, this chopped salad is both light and filling.
Smarts: Tahini (sesame paste) gives the dressing for this salad a creamy quality. Feel free to use paleo-friendly mayonnaise or a paleo-friendly nut butter in place of the tahini.
- Eggs - 4
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Tahini - 2 Tbsp (sub paleo-friendly mayonnaise or nut butter)
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Foil - for cooking
- Bacon - 12 strips
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Watermelon - 16 oz, cubed
- Ice - 1 cup
- Mint - 4 leaves
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Boil eggs - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating / bacon cooking before continuing with prep.) Cover eggs with cold water and some salt. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes and then run under cold water for easier peeling. Roll egg against a hard, flat surface to break up shell and then peel. If making ahead of time, peel right before serving. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Combine vinegar, mustard, and tahini. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make watermelon lime smoothie - Combine watermelon, ice, mint leaves, and lime juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil. (You can also fry the bacon in a skillet, if you prefer.)
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- While bacon cools, peel and chop eggs.
- Combine tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, and eggs in a mixing bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Season with some salt and pepper. Crumble bacon over top.
- Serve salad with smoothies on the side. Enjoy!
So quick & easy & tasty! I made a bit extra dressing to make it super saucy.0 Helpful
Added avocado to the blt (did not use lettuce), and had pineapple and cottage cheese on the side. We also just had everyone assemble their own.0 Helpful
The salad was a surprising delight, as was the marinated veggies.0 Helpful
enjoyed this fresh... did not make good leftovers.0 Helpful
This was fine, but I’d be just as happy with a normal BLT.0 Helpful
Yum. The tortilla wasn’t necessary, we started with them but soon abandoned them to eat the salad like a fork. I’d add more tomatoes next time. The watermelon was great with left over feta, my toddler LOVED it!0 Helpful