and watermelon salad with mint
Classic bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches get a new twist when tossed in creamy dressing and rolled into a wrap.
Smarts: If you have any feta leftover from earlier in the week, crumble it into the watermelon salad. Watermelon, mint, and feta are an unexpectedly delicious combination.
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Foil - for cooking
- Bacon - 12 strips
- Wraps, any large type - 4 (like flatbreads or tortillas)
- Mint - 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Watermelon - 16 oz, cubed
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Make dressing - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating / bacon cooking before continuing with prep.) Combine vinegar, mustard, and mayonnaise. Add oil (portion for wraps) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mint / Watermelon - Prep as directed and combine. Refrigerate watermelon until ready to serve, (it’s best served chilled).
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil. (You can also fry the bacon in a skillet, if you prefer.)
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- While bacon cools, toss together mint, watermelon, oil (portion for salad), and lime juice.
- Combine tomatoes and lettuce in a mixing bowl. Add dressing a bit at a time until dressed to your liking and toss to combine. Crumble bacon over top and toss once more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If you’d like the wraps warm, heat according to package directions.
- Divide BLT filling between wraps and fold / roll to enclose filling. Serve wraps with watermelon salad on the side. Enjoy!
So quick & easy & tasty! I made a bit extra dressing to make it super saucy.0 Helpful
Added avocado to the blt (did not use lettuce), and had pineapple and cottage cheese on the side. We also just had everyone assemble their own.0 Helpful
The salad was a surprising delight, as was the marinated veggies.0 Helpful
enjoyed this fresh... did not make good leftovers.0 Helpful
This was fine, but I’d be just as happy with a normal BLT.0 Helpful
Yum. The tortilla wasn’t necessary, we started with them but soon abandoned them to eat the salad like a fork. I’d add more tomatoes next time. The watermelon was great with left over feta, my toddler LOVED it!0 Helpful