Tomato and Feta Tartwith cucumbers
Store-bought puff pastry makes a quick and easy foundation for these summery, savory tarts.
Smarts: Any tomatoes will work for these tarts. Use heirloom, cherry, Roma, or a combination of tomatoes (bonus for using a variety of colors)!
- Puff pastry - 10 oz, thawed according to package directions
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, any type - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Parchment paper - for baking
- Flour - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese, feta - 2 oz
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, chopped
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Mint - 1 Tbsp, chiffonade
- Puff pastry - Thaw according to package instructions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make garlic oil - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic, olive oil, and dried oregano. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cucumbers - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers - Whisk together vinegar and mustard. Add cucumbers. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Mint - Chiffonade mint.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dust a countertop with flour. Unfold pastry onto floured surface and roll out into a 12” / 30 cm square (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing). (Note: Using a rolling pin or your palms, gently stretch the pastry into a square.)
- Transfer pastry to parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Brush garlic oil over top of pastry. Add tomato slices (it is okay if they overlap slightly). Crumble feta cheese on top.
- Bake tart until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While tart bakes, toss cucumbers with mint. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Cut tart into slices. Serve with cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 33 reviews
Really loved this! Agree with some of the other comments - delicious on the puff pastry but made it feel like a side because can imagine how much butter was in there! In the future, would probably make it more substantial as a flat bread or on dough, and/or add a protein and serve it as a side. Cucumbers were a tasty, easy side!
Used garden-fresh tomatoes, cucumber, and oregano, so that did a lot of the work for me. Increased garlic per other reviews
More garlic and salt on the tomatoes would have made it better. Maybe add some arugula or greens to the cucumbers to make it feel more robust?
Next time, I'll double the garlic & oregano & halve the olive oil. Otherwise, delicious!!
The salmon and tomatoes we're wonderful in the garlic herb oil. Liked the cucumbers too! I removed the salmon and almost blistered the tomatoes - yum!
A quick, easy meal, but lacking a bit in flavor. I think that owes more to the quality of tomatoes used than the recipe itself. It made me really wish I had a garden to pull fresh tomatoes for this dish. The cucumbers were an excellent side and added a needed crispness to the meal. We added a small salad as well to increase the greens.