Cajun Mushroom Po’ Boy
with chips / pickles
There is something about a Po’ Boy that makes it feel like beach vacation food, and this one is close to the original - with seared mushrooms instead of the classic shrimp. Whether at the beach or around your kitchen table, this Cajun-spiced version with a creamy sauce is sure to please. This meal got great reviews for simplicity and flavor when it was featured in 2017, so we wanted to bring it back again in the heat of the summer.
- Mushrooms, any button - 16 oz, quartered
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, leaves torn (sub green leaf lettuce)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Sandwich buns - 4 (sub hotdog buns)
- Pickles, sliced or whole, for serving (opt) - 6 oz
- Chips, for serving - 4 cups
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Pickle juice (opt) - 1/2 tsp (from a jar of pickles)
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Make creamy Cajun sauce - Combine mayonnaise, Cajun seasoning (the portion for the sauce), garlic powder, mustard, pickle juice, and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms into quarters. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are golden brown on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning (portion for the mushrooms) and some salt and saute for 1 minute more.
- Toast sandwich buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by brushing the insides of the rolls with half of the Creamy Cajun Sauce. Add lettuce, tomatoes, and then mushrooms. Drizzle remaining sauce over top.
- Serve sandwiches with pickles and chips on the side. Enjoy!
I forgot to get the lettuce which would have made these way better, but even without, they were pretty good. Great option for a summer dinner.0 Helpful
Solid, easy meal.0 Helpful
Made this as an easy summer meal for company. This sauce was amazing - can't wait to make again!0 Helpful
Yum! Very tasty. I don’t usually eat chips as a side but I did it because I was “told” to. Thanks for the excuse!0 Helpful
Subbed chicken for shrimp. Easy to put together, but nothing too exciting about the paleo version.0 Helpful
One of my favorite meals thus far! Very easy and tasty. I added avocado slices to the sandwiches.0 Helpful