Cajun Shrimp Po’ Boywith chips / pickles
There is something about a shrimp Po’ Boy that makes it feel like beach vacation food. Whether at the beach or around your kitchen table, this Cajun-spiced version with a creamy sauce is sure to please. This meal got great reviews for simplicity and flavor when it was featured in 2017, so we wanted to bring it back again in the heat of the summer.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, leaves torn (sub green leaf lettuce)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sandwich buns - 4 (sub hotdog buns)
- Pickles, sliced or whole, for serving (opt) - 6 oz
- Chips, for serving - 4 cups
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Pickle juice (opt) - 1/2 tsp (from a jar of pickles)
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry. Combine with Cajun seasoning (the portion for the shrimp) and some salt and pepper.
- Make creamy Cajun sauce - Combine mayonnaise, Cajun seasoning (the portion for the sauce), garlic powder, mustard, pickle juice, and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shrimp. Saute until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes (depending on their size).
- Toast sandwich buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by brushing the insides of the rolls with half of the Creamy Cajun Sauce. Add lettuce, tomatoes, and then shrimp. Drizzle remaining sauce over top.
- Serve sandwiches with lemon wedges to squeeze over top of the shrimp. Enjoy with pickles and chips on the side.
We're baby with hot, spicy food so I made my own Cajun spice without the red pepper. Turned out really well. I would make more shrimp next time because we didn't have enough. I used medium size and maybe it would have worked better with large size.0 Helpful
So so so yummy. Definitely a favorite. That cajun sauce was so good! I like a previous reviewer's suggestion of okra fries in lieu of chips (although I liked the simplicity and ease of chips).0 Helpful
Quick, easy, fast to make with a lot of flavor!0 Helpful
This was great as well!! No real changes, maybe extra tomato? Also, you could make okra fries instead of chips for extra veggies.0 Helpful
This was good! Made it with tofu as I don't like shrimp and my husband doesn't like mushrooms and it came out well.0 Helpful
Loved the ease of the recipe. I had everything on hand. Big hit all around! Definitely will make again.0 Helpful