Cajun Shrimp Po’ Boywith chips / pickles
There is something about a shrimp Po’ Boy that makes it feel like beach vacation food. Whether at the beach or around your kitchen table, this Cajun-spiced version with a creamy sauce is sure to please. This meal got great reviews for simplicity and flavor when it was featured in 2017, so we wanted to bring it back again in the heat of the summer.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, leaves torn (sub green leaf lettuce)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sandwich buns - 4 (sub hotdog buns)
- Pickles, sliced or whole, for serving (opt) - 6 oz
- Chips, for serving - 4 cups
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Pickle juice (opt) - 1/2 tsp (from a jar of pickles)
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry. Combine with Cajun seasoning (the portion for the shrimp) and some salt and pepper.
- Make creamy Cajun sauce - Combine mayonnaise, Cajun seasoning (the portion for the sauce), garlic powder, mustard, pickle juice, and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shrimp. Saute until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes (depending on their size).
- Toast sandwich buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by brushing the insides of the rolls with half of the Creamy Cajun Sauce. Add lettuce, tomatoes, and then shrimp. Drizzle remaining sauce over top.
- Serve sandwiches with lemon wedges to squeeze over top of the shrimp. Enjoy with pickles and chips on the side.
I agree with the other comments about the zucchini fries. Otherwise, so good. We used pita wraps, and had an extra side of cantaloupe. A great summer meal.0 Helpful
Such a great quick meal - the sauce was delicious! I used frozen precooked shrimp to make it even easier - just thawed and warmed them in a pan with the cajun seasoning.0 Helpful
Everyone in my house loved these. Definitely going in the favorites. I wouldn't have regretted making 1.5x the sauce0 Helpful
Was ok, but felt more like a lunch. Would buy crustier bread next time. Mayo was good—added chopped pickles, not just juice.0 Helpful
Loved everything about this!0 Helpful
So tasty! Hubby loved it.0 Helpful