Summer Vegetable and Black Bean Grain Bowls
with pineapple salsa
- Quinoa, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/3 cup
- Jalapenos - 1, diced
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Green beans - 12 oz, 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Pineapple, fresh - 1 cup, finely diced
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Jalapenos / Shallots / Green beans - Prep as directed. Combine jalapenos and shallots in one container. Store green beans in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice off cobs. (Skip if using frozen corn) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave safe container. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until bright green and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Finely dice pineapple. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make salsa - Combine pineapple with jalapenos, shallots, and rice vinegar.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then green beans and corn. Saute until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add black beans and saute just until heated through, ~1 minute more.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave just to take the chill off.
- Assemble grain bowls by dividing quinoa and then green bean / corn / black bean mixture between serving bowls. Top with pineapple salsa and drizzle with Sriracha mayo. Enjoy!
Really liked the pineapple salsa! I used the leftovers on a salad. Subbed veggie sausage. I liked the green beans but it seemed like they were missing something.0 Helpful
Substituted veggie sausage, which always works out great. The sauce was delicious, and the pineapple was unexpected but worked out really well. The green beans felt lacking. I'd probably make them with butter next time.0 Helpful
We added the corn to the Paleo version, because we are trying to cut down the bread consumption, but not going strictly Paleo. I made a few mistakes along the way, but it still came out delish!0 Helpful
Loved the pineapple salsa. This was a great meal. I will try a different sausage next time.0 Helpful
The sausage dogs were great, if a bit messy - I loved the salsa! The corn and green bean salad wasn't my favorite though.0 Helpful
Really surprised by the flavors in this. We used italian style chicken sausage, and I really didn't think it would go with the mayo & salsa. Very pleasantly surprised that everything went together so well! I used a mini food processor to chop everything up in to into bits. Ended up with way too much salsa though.0 Helpful