Brown Butter Pasta
with roasted cauliflower & edamame
Roasted cauliflower and brown butter provide a lovely nuttiness to this pasta dish. It's the perfect way to welcome fall! If you've never browned butter before, just watch it carefully, so it doesn't burn. It's one of the most delicious smells you'll experience.
Brown Butter Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower & Edamame:
- Cauliflower - 1 head , chopped
- Edamame - 1 1/2 cups , shelled
- Pasta - 3/4 lb ((fusilli, penne, gemelli, shells are all good shapes!))
- Butter - 6 Tbsp
- Parmesan - 1/2 cup , grated ((Plus more for serving))
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
- Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
- Cauliflower - Chop and roast using our quickest veggie roasting method. Heat an oven to 500F (260C) degrees. Place cauliflower on a sheet pan and cover with foil. Steam for 10 minutes, then remove foil. Toss with 2 tbs. (30ml)olive oil, generous dash of salt, and some pepper. Roast uncovered on highest oven rack for another 10 to 15 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Edamame - Defrost by microwaving for 1 to 2 minutes on high.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt heavily (that water should taste like the ocean!) and add pasta. Cook according to package instructions. Save 1/2 cup (118 ml) of pasta water before draining.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add in butter and let it melt. Once it melts, watch it carefully and swirl the pan every so often. You want your butter to turn into an amber color, similar to maple syrup. As this happens, the butter will start to smell nutty. Once it gets to that color, remove from heat until the pasta is ready.
- Once pasta is ready, return the brown butter to medium heat. Transfer pasta to the saute pan with the pasta water you saved. Add in parmesan, edamame, and roasted cauliflower and cook until everything is warmed up. Finish with some lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with pine nuts and serve with more parmesan if you want.