Brown Butter Pasta
with roasted cauliflower & edamame
- Cauliflower - 1 head, chopped
- Edamame - 1 1/2 cups, shelled
- Pasta - 3/4 lb ((fusilli, penne, gemelli, shells are all good shapes!))
- Butter - 6 Tbsp
- Parmesan - 1/2 cup, grated ((Plus more for serving))
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
- Cauliflower - Chop and roast using our quickest veggie roasting method. Heat an oven to 500F (260C) degrees. Place cauliflower on a sheet pan and cover with foil. Steam for 10 minutes, then remove foil. Toss with 2 tbs. (30ml)olive oil, generous dash of salt, and some pepper. Roast uncovered on highest oven rack for another 10 to 15 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Edamame - Defrost by microwaving for 1 to 2 minutes on high.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt heavily (that water should taste like the ocean!) and add pasta. Cook according to package instructions. Save 1/2 cup (118 ml) of pasta water before draining.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add in butter and let it melt. Once it melts, watch it carefully and swirl the pan every so often. You want your butter to turn into an amber color, similar to maple syrup. As this happens, the butter will start to smell nutty. Once it gets to that color, remove from heat until the pasta is ready.
- Once pasta is ready, return the brown butter to medium heat. Transfer pasta to the saute pan with the pasta water you saved. Add in parmesan, edamame, and roasted cauliflower and cook until everything is warmed up. Finish with some lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with pine nuts and serve with more parmesan if you want.
This was easy and filling, but it didn't have a lot of flavor. I didn't love the edamame. pasta, and cauliflower textures together. I had no problem eating it, but I didn't love it.0 Helpful
Good, but not great. Husband hates cauliflower so I substituted broccoli, and it was absolutely fine. Just needs a little more flavor. Maybe some red pepper or something?0 Helpful
Ended up using spaghetti, realized at the last minute that as all I had, but it turned out well, even the toddler liked it!0 Helpful
I've always loved anything cooked in brown butter, so I knew this would be good before I even started. But my husband actually eating and liking edamame made this a winner of winners. It's not often you can get such wonderful flavors with so few seasonings. Fantastic.0 Helpful
Used fusilli pasta and substituted peas for the edamame. Delicious!0 Helpful
Used peas instead of edamame, and it was fantastic!! Looking forward to making this one again!0 Helpful