Shredded “Barbecue” Jackfruit Sandwiches
with macaroni salad / watermelon
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit that is becoming widely available in U.S. supermarkets either canned or vacuum-packed. It's becoming increasingly popular as a vegetarian substitute for pulled or shredded meat, so we wanted to give it a try in one of our meal plans.
Smarts: Jackfruit can vary a bit in its level of sweetness, so adjust the sauce as you go - a splash of apple cider vinegar will cut the sweetness if needed.
- Watermelon - 12 oz, sliced or cubed
- Jackfruit (20 oz / 567 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Barbecue sauce - 1/2 cup (use your favorite store-bought sauce or make your own)
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Pasta, macaroni - 4 oz (sub any small pasta shape)
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, finely diced
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Broccoli florets - 8 oz, finely chopped
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 3 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Pasta - (Skip if pasta was made ahead for Wednesday.) Boil pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Shallots / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Chop the broccoli fairly small since it will be included in the pasta salad.) Combine bell peppers and shallots. Store broccoli separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Combine garlic powder (portion for pasta salad), mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steam broccoli - Place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until they are tender but still have some crunch, 2 to 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pasta salad - Combine pasta, bell peppers, shallots, and broccoli. Add dressing and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Watermelon - Slice into wedges or cubes for serving.
- Prepare jackfruit - Drain and rinse jackfruit. Pat dry. Toss with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder (portion for jackfruit), and some salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil over medium heat. Add jackfruit and saute until spices are fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add barbecue sauce and water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until jackfruit is tender and falling apart, 20 to 30 minutes (a longer cook time will make the jackfruit more tender, so taste and cook until it is done to your liking).
- Remove lid and continue cooking and stirring until sauce is thick and jackfruit is shredded.
- Toast buns.
- Give pasta salad a stir and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve jackfruit in buns with watermelon and pasta salad on the side. Enjoy!
BBQ jackfruit was yummy. Pasta salad was pretty mayonnaise-y. Maybe would try it with a vinaigrette dressing instead next time.0 Helpful
Used part of this recipe mixed with an older recipe for pork shoulder, and made homemade bbq sauce. Delicious, delicious, delicious, pulled pork BBQ sandwiches area a favorite for sure.0 Helpful
Great chilled broccoli salad and leftover pulled pork was easily made super flavorable with hot sauce.0 Helpful
My first experience with jackfruit, and it was a hit! Will make this again. Macaroni salad was pretty good too.0 Helpful
Need to try the macaroni salad next time! Made with spinach pasta cold salad. Didn’t use any bbq sauce.0 Helpful
Super good all around meal.0 Helpful