Leftover Pulled Pork Sandwiches
with macaroni salad / watermelon
Smarts: Don't forget to salt the water you use to boil the pasta. It will add extra flavor to the simple, creamy macaroni salad.
Smarts: Look for small (sometimes called "personal") watermelons or buy pre-sliced watermelon if you just want enough for this meal.
- Watermelon - 12 oz, sliced or cubed
- Leftover pulled pork (from Tuesday) - ~1 lb
- Barbecue sauce - 1/2 cup (use your favorite store-bought sauce or make your own)
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Pasta, macaroni - 4 oz (sub any small pasta shape)
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, finely diced
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Broccoli florets - 8 oz, finely chopped
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 3 Tbsp (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Pasta - (Skip if pasta was made ahead for Wednesday.) Boil pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Shallots / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Chop the broccoli fairly small since it will be included in the pasta salad.) Combine bell peppers and shallots. Store broccoli separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Combine garlic powder, mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steam broccoli - Place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until they are tender but still have some crunch, 2 to 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pasta salad - Combine pasta, bell peppers, shallots, and broccoli. Add dressing and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Watermelon - Slice into wedges or cubes for serving.
- Reheat pork in the microwave. Combine with barbecue sauce (add some additional sauce until the pork is sauced to your liking).
- Toast buns.
- Give pasta salad a stir and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve pork in buns with watermelon and pasta salad on the side. Enjoy!
I would like to mix it with pork next time, so a little of each. Used store-bought bbq sauce, used an IP recipe from online.0 Helpful
BBQ jackfruit was yummy. Pasta salad was pretty mayonnaise-y. Maybe would try it with a vinaigrette dressing instead next time.0 Helpful
Used part of this recipe mixed with an older recipe for pork shoulder, and made homemade bbq sauce. Delicious, delicious, delicious, pulled pork BBQ sandwiches area a favorite for sure.0 Helpful
Great chilled broccoli salad and leftover pulled pork was easily made super flavorable with hot sauce.0 Helpful
My first experience with jackfruit, and it was a hit! Will make this again. Macaroni salad was pretty good too.0 Helpful
Need to try the macaroni salad next time! Made with spinach pasta cold salad. Didn’t use any bbq sauce.0 Helpful