Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Lettuce Cups
with avocado and citrus salad
Smarts: This recipe makes enough pulled pork to use leftovers for Thursday's meal.
- Lettuce, romaine - 12 leaves (sub iceberg)
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, diced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1/2, diced
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Shallots - 2 cloves, thinly sliced
- Avocados - 2, cubed
- Oranges - 2, segmented
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Pork shoulder, boneless - 3 lbs (sub boneless pork loin)
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, ground coriander, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots - Thinly slice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow-cook pork - This makes enough for 2 nights. Place pork and stock into the bowl of a slow cooker. Rub pork on top and sides with spice mix. Cook pork on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 5 to 6 hours. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce - Separate leaves. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Onions / Tomatoes / Limes / Avocados / Oranges - Prep as directed. Place onions, tomatoes, and lime wedges each into their own bowl so that everyone can customize their lettuce cups. Store avocados and oranges separately.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mustard and vinegar. Add oil while whisking. Top with shallots, avocados, and oranges. Toss to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When pork is finished cooking, transfer it to a cutting board and shred with two forks (or with a fork and a knife). Reserve half the shredded pork for Thursday.
- Set out lettuce leaves, shredded pork, onions, tomatoes, and lime wedges so that everyone can assemble their lettuce cups at the table. Enjoy with avocado and citrus salad on the side.
I <3 TACOS!0 Helpful
Wasn't earth-shattering, but was yummy and quick to make with the weekend prep. Good weeknight meal!0 Helpful
The tacos tasted a little dry to me - next time I would use some salsa instead of just the chopped tomatoes. Otherwise this was great and easy to pull together0 Helpful
Used pulled pork for multiple meals and made the start of school easy!0 Helpful
Easy meal when using the slow cooker!0 Helpful
Tacos were easy and delicious. We did not have the salad.0 Helpful