with rice / kimchi / broccoli
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Kimchi - 1 Tbsp , finely chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Ginger - 2 tsp , grated
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, brown - 2 Tbsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 tsp
Pan Seared Broccoli with Lime:
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead on Monday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Kimchi / Garlic / Ginger / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Combine kimchi, garlic, and ginger. Store broccoli in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine kimchi, garlic, ginger, stock (portion for meatballs), soy sauce, ketchup, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, and sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Form meatballs - Mix beef with white parts of green onions, eggs, panko, salt, and pepper. Form into 1” / 2.5 cm wide meatballs. You should have ~5 meatballs per serving . (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a skillet or nonstick pan with cooking oil (portion for broccoli) over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and sear until lightly browned on the outside.
- Add stock (portion for broccoli) and cover pan with a lid or foil. Steam broccoli until tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Set broccoli aside and season with lime juice and some salt.
- Return pan to burner and reduce heat to medium. Add oil (portion for meatballs) and then meatballs. Saute until meatballs are lightly browned on the outside.
- Whisk cornstarch into sauce. Pour sauce over meatballs and cover pan with a lid or foil. Simmer meatballs in sauce, covered, until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over rice with broccoli on the side. Top with green parts of green onions. Enjoy!