Avocado and Edamame Poke Bowl
with rice / mango / kale / spicy garlic mayo
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Chili-garlic sauce - 2 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Green onions - 2 stalks, thinly sliced, white and green parts
- Mangos - 1, cubed
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Kale - 6 oz, very thinly sliced
- Edamame, shelled - 1 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, any color (opt) - 2 tsp
- Pickled ginger (opt) - for serving
- Rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spicy garlic mayo - Whisk together mayonnaise and chili-garlic sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Limes / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Mangos / Avocados / Kale / Edamame - Prep as directed. If using frozen edamame, defrost.
- Stir the first part of vinegar into the portion of the rice for tonight (reserve half the rice for Wednesday). If the rice was made ahead, heat in the microwave so it is warm but not hot.
- Toss kale with second part of vinegar and cooking oil. (For more tender kale, massage the vinegar and cooking oil into the leaves.) Season with a pinch of salt.
- Toss avocados and edamame with green onions (green and white parts), soy sauce, and sesame oil. Season with some salt.
- Assemble bowls by dividing rice and kale between serving bowls. Top with mango, avocado / edamame, and cucumber. Finish with sesame seeds and a drizzle of spicy garlic mayo.
- Serve bowls with lime wedges and pickled ginger on the side.
Favorite of all CS meals. Make it without cucumber because 8yo dislikes. Also, don’t make the mayo or the pickled ginger. Just kale, edamame, avocado, rice and CS sauce. LOVE!!!!0 Helpful
I added seaweed after having the sushi roll salad and it was a delicious addition :)0 Helpful
Quick, easy, and tasty!0 Helpful
Really good...we added shredded carrots to the bowl.0 Helpful
I'm not a fan of mayo so I just added extra avocado0 Helpful
Love the combination of crunchy (cucumber) and soft (avocado) vegetables in this one. We liked it so much we're making it again tomorrow night!0 Helpful