Italian-Style Vegetable Quesadillas
with balsamic tomato and basil salsa
These quesadillas aren't exactly traditional, but we think you'll love the combination of Italian-inspired flavors folded inside toasted tortillas. The tomato and basil "salsa" adds a fresh complement to the melted cheese of the quesadillas.
Italian-Style Vegetable Quesadillas:
- Corn, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Grilled vegetables (leftover from Tuesday) - 2 cups , finely chopped
- Beans, cannellini or white (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, shredded Italian blend - 8 oz
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 12
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
Balsamic Tomato and Basil Salsa:
- Tomatoes - 12 oz , chopped
- Basil - 6 leaves , chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Corn - If using frozen corn, defrost. If using fresh corn, slice kernels off cobs and heat in the microwave covered with a damp paper towel until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Grilled vegetables - If leftover grilled vegetables from Tuesday are not already chopped, chop into bite-sized pieces. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Basil - Finely chop tomatoes and basil. Combine with vinegar and oil.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Combine corn, chopped vegetables, beans, cheese, and Italian seasoning.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. (Cook as many quesadillas at a time as your cooking surface will allow.) Place a tortilla on the heated surface. Fill it with vegetable / cheese mixture, spreading the filling out nearly to the edges. Top with another tortilla.
- Cook until the bottom tortilla is golden brown and then flip to cook on the other side.
- Transfer quesadillas to a cutting board and slice into wedges.
- Serve quesadillas with yogurt and salsa. Enjoy!